Local Government Services
The Southern Georgia Regional Commission's Local Government Services Department assists local governments in completing required updates to their Comprehensive Plans and Short Term Work Programs. Further responsibilities include facilitating regular assessment meetings to assure their Qualified Local Government Status stays up to date, and conduct regular government visits to educate on the regional and local comprehensive plans. Staff also facilitates educational workshops as requested by the local governments.
The assistance we provide to local governments includes the following:
• Research and report on rezoning or land use matters and annexations that come before the Planning Commissions, City Councils, and County Commissions with public meetings and workshops.
• Research and report on revisions to zoning maps, zoning texts, and variances.
• Facilitate Visioning projects.
• Develop or update Land Use Development Codes.
• Develop or update Subdivision Ordinances.
• Develop or update Urban Redevelopment Plans.
• Develop or update Opportunity Zones.
• Assist with PlanFirst Applications.
• Assist with WaterFirst Applications.
• Assist with Greenway Trails Projects.
• Develop and update Hazard Mitigation Plans.
• Assist with City/County-led Planned Developments.
NEW! City of Waycross Northside Urban Redevelopment Plan - 2018 Amendments
Click here to download the Amended Waycross Northside Urban Redevelopment Plan, adopted May 15, 2018.
NEW! City of Ashburn Urban Redevelopment Plan
Click here to download the 2018 Southwest Ashburn Urban Redevelopment Plan, adopted Feb. 1, 2018.